Is iPhone Facetime Not Working? Must Try These 11 Best Fixes!
Frustrated with failed calls on facetime? Is iPhone facetime not working? Read this guide to find the potential problems and fix your facetime immediately on your iphone, iPod, Mac, and iPad.
Launched in 2010, Facetime is one of the most prominent and beloved features of Apple. This built in video chat app allowed the iOS users to make audio and video calls for free. What made it popular is the ease to use! All it takes is high speed internet connection for uninterrupted services. But what if your facetime has stopped working all of sudden despite having a stable cellular connection?
We know how annoying it is when we can't connect with our friends, colleagues or family during an emergency. Stop worrying! That's what we are here for! In this comprehensive guide, you'll find everything from troubleshooting to applying specific fixes for group facetime calls. So, whether you are using facetime on Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, we have listed the best fixes for your device.
Without much ado; let's quickly read this article to identify the issues and start your facetime again!
#11 Best Ways To Fix Your Facetime
Why is my facetime not working? Are you the one of those frustrated users who haven’t found the best fix yet? Well, we have listed some of the best solutions to activate your facetime again.
1. Restart Your Apple Device (Iphone, Ipad, Or Mac)
Restarting is one of the easiest and best ways to troubleshoot any device or application if something goes wrong. Same applies to facetime also, if somehow it doesn't respond. Just make sure you have saved your ongoing progress or other important data before you rush to force restart your iPhone or Mac.
2. Confirm Whether Or Not Facetime Works In Your Country?
Although facetime calling is free globally, still it isn't available in every country. This could be probably one of the primary reasons why you are unable to run facetime on your iOS device.
To check the status, you can visit Apple’s official website.
Unfortunately, if facetime is not available in your country, you can try using a VPN. For example, facetime feature is not available for apple devices bought in:
- Saudi Arabia (available only for apple products with iOS 11.3 or later
- Pakistan (available only on iOS 12.4 or later)
- United Arab Emirates.
3. Make Sure To Install Latest Software On Your Apple Device:
Updates may seem a waste of time but are totally worth it. We know it’s hard to wait while installations occur but advanced app softwares helps fixing bugs and crashing issues.
The other advantages are you get high speed and new features on updating your iPhone or iPad.
For example, now you can create links on Facetime and share on Whats app, Instagram or Mail your friends and colleagues.
- For iPhone/ iPad users: Tap on Settings > General > Software Update.
- For Mac users: Move to System Preferences > Software Update.
Facetime works best on broadband connections. Poor signal strength can be the potential reason for facetime audio not working on your apple device. Low quality network connectivity can cause:
- Reconnecting issues
- Facetime calls answered on another device
- Poor sound quality.
- Choppy calls
- Blank screen
- Call dropping
Also, you need to ensure that your mobile data or Wifi is enabled for facetime to make or receive calls. Sp, what you need to do is:
Go to iPhone settings.
- Click on Mobile data
- Scroll down to check if data usage is enabled for facetime.
5. Check the Facetime Settings
Here you can check if you are using the right Apple ID, and phone number? You can also allow the facetime to access Siri, notifications, incoming calls etc.
- Tap on the settings app.
- Scroll down to find the facetime app.
- Slide the button to toggle on the facetime.
6. Sign-out & Sign-in back to Facetime
Sometimes trying simple hacks can fix the glitches. So what you need to do is:
- Open the settings
- Select Facetime.
- Tap on your Apple ID.
- Click on Sign-out.
- Now tap on ‘ Use your Apple ID for Facetime.’
- Again sign-in entering your Apple ID.
For MAC users:
- Open your facetime app.
- Click on Preferences to sign-out.
7. Check If Group Facetime Is Compatible With Your Device
iPhone facetime not working? Unable to make or receive group facetime calls? Keep in mind that not every apple device is compatible with group facetime. Here is the list of apple products that supports facetime:
- iPhone 4 or later models
- iPod touch (7th generation or later)
- Mac with installed macOS Mojave 10.14.3 or later.
- iPad Pro/ iPad Air 2/ iPad mini 4/ iPad (5th generation), and others.
- Apple watch series 3 and above.
Pro tip: To avoid technical issues, ensure that all the people in group facetime calls use the same iOS version or higher.
8. Reduce the People in your Group Facetime Chats
Facetime can accommodate a maximum of 32 users in group facetime chat. For the uninterrupted services, ensure your group facetime members have high speed cellular or Wi-fi connection. It can be hard to identify why facetime is not working for certain contacts?
For engaging conversations, try connecting one to one with other group members. The problem lies at your end if you are unable to connect with any of the other group members.
9. Set the Time & Date Automatically
If facetime is not responding on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac device, verify whether or not you have selected the ‘set automatically’ option for time and date. Make certain that it is toggled on in your device settings.
- For iPhone/ iPad users:Open Settings > General > Time & Date.
- For Mac users: Tap on System Preferences > Date & Time.
Note: Mac users may need to enter the administrator password to change the settings.
10. Disable FaceTime Content Restrictions
Sometimes knowingly or unknowingly we turn on the privacy and screen time restrictions for kids safety. It blocks them from using certain specific features on the iphone/iPad/ Mac. To run the facetime, you need to disable these restrictions.
Mac users: Open System Preferences > Screen Time > select Content & Privacy.
Now, tick the boxes to enable Camera and FaceTime. Enter the passcode if required.
iPhone / iPad users: Open Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
Also make sure your mic and camera are turned on. You can change the settings by tapping on Allowed Apps. You may need to enter the password for screen time which is usually different from device password.
11. Do you use Facetime behind a security software or firewall?
Many networks use firewalls for high security & privacy. Firewall helps blocking the suspicious traffic to enter the network. So the iOS users may need to open specific ports of their Wi-Fi router or network to make or receive video calls on facetime. It includes:
- Port mapping
- SIP dropping
- Dynamic media ports.
For better support & assistance in port forwarding, you can contact the network administrator to know your NAT configuration. Or, visit the website of the respective software manufacturer when iPhone facetime is not working.
How To Troubleshoot Facetime On Different Apple Devices?
Have you tried all the above fixes and still your facetime is not activated? Don’t worry! We are not done yet. Below is the step by step procedure to troubleshoot your different iOS devices:
iPhone 8 & Old Models:
- Press and hold the power button till the “slide to power off” button displays.
- Swipe left to turn off your iPhone.
- Again press and hold the power button to turn on your phone.
iPhone X and Later Models:
- Press and hold the side button plus the lower volume button till “slide to power off” displays on screen.
- Now, swipe to the left of the screen to turn off your iphone.
- Press and hold the side button again to turn on your device.
iPads with a Home Button:
- Press and hold the top button.
- Swipe the “slide to power off” to the left to turn your iPad off.
- Now wait for 1 minute.
- again press and hold the top button to start your iPad.
iPad without a Home Button:
- Make sure to press and hold the top button plus low/high volume button together.
- Swipe left the power slider to shut down your iPad when it appears.
- Wait for 30-60s.
- Again press and hold the top button until it starts again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does FaceTime Work On iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, iPod, or Mac?
Yes, yes, and yes! Facetime is compatible with almost all the Apple products but with some restrictions. Just make sure you fulfills the following criteria:
- Mac with OS X installed
- iPhone 4 or later generations.
- iPad 2 or later models.
- iPod Touch four generation or later
How to use FaceTime on iPhone?
- Open the app and it will automatically list the contacts available for facetime calls.
- Tap on the contact name you wish to call.
- Here you go!
It's as simple as that! You can choose to switch anytime between audio or video call.
How To Turn Down Facetime Volume?
- Go to 'Control Center' during an ongoing facetime video call.
- Tap on the 'Mic mode' option on the right side of the screen.
- Click on the 'Voice Isolation' button.
- Now you are all set to lower the volume/ block ambient noise.
Final Verdict on Facetime Problems:
We hope our troubleshooting tips and others specific fixes for facetime issues have helped you in a better way. Now you know what to do when iPhone facetime is not working. If it's still not working, we suggest using the other alternatives in the meantime. You can also leave a comment in the section below. We’d love to answer your queries!