Struggling with your AirPods? People can’t hear your voice? Try these simple troubleshooting hacks on how to fix AirPods microphone?
Is Airpod Microphone Not Working on calls despite being connected to your phone? You can hear songs, podcasts, and phone calls through your AirPods but people are unable to hear your voice. Well, there can be several reasons why your AirPod Microphone not working such as
- Dirt inside the microphone holes
- configuration settings
- minor bugs, or glitches
Don’t get frustrated! In this article, we’ll be discussing every possible solution to fix your AirPod. Let’s get started!
Why Is My Airpods Microphone Not Working?
Here's the procedure to activate the Low Data Mode for Wi-Fi and Mobile Data on your iPhone. You can follow the same steps to turn-off low data mode.
Low Data Mode For Wi-Fi
1. Charge your AirPods:
The low battery level can be one of the reasons why your Apple AirPods microphone not working properly. So, open your AirPods case and check the charging level while keeping them near your iPhone. Try charging your Airpods to 100% and check whether or not you face the same issue again.
Want to know how long does it take to charge Apple Airpods? On average, AirPods along with the case can take an hour or longer to get fully charged.
2. Reconnect Your AirPods
A moment ago your AirPods were working just fine and now they are not getting connected to your iPhone? Don’t worry! It happens many times. So, you can try establishing the connection again. Simply put the AirPods back into the charging case, close it, and open it again. Plug them into your ears and double tap on your AirPods.
3. Clean the AirPods Microphones
Another quick fix is to check if your Airpods are clogged, or dirty? It usually happens with many users when they don’t clean their AirPods on a regular basis. The microphone holes accumulate dust, grime, or ear wax. So, what you need to do is:
Simply take an earbud, dab some alcohol on it and gently clean the microphone holes at the bottom of the charging case.
With the help of a toothpick or needle, try extracting the particles from the microphones carefully. Just make sure you don’t damage the microphone's mesh grill.
4. Restart Your iPhone:
This simple troubleshooting tip works most of the time. Sometimes iPhone doesn’t work properly due to technical glitches. So, all you need to do is:
- Hold the down volume button, and side button together( side button only in case of iPhones with button) for a couple of seconds.
- Now slide the power button to the right to switch off your phone.
- Wait for 30 s to 1 minute to restart your iPhone again.
5. Check the Active Microphone Settings
Many users have complained that they can only hear the voice from a single AirPod only. In such a case, you need to check whether the mic is configured for both the mics in active microphone settings.
- Open Settings > Bluetooth
- Now tap the ‘i’ button near your AirPods.
- Tap Microphone and enable the Automatically Switch AirPods option
Though you can choose any of the other options, it can create a problem if you plugged the wrong AirPod in your ear.
6. Update Your iPhone
Another option to fix your Airpods microphone is to update your iPhone with the latest software. To check whether your iPhone needs an update:
Go to Settings > General > Software Update
7. Reset & Reconnect your AirPods
- Put AirPods in the charging case, close the cover, and wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Open Settings>Bluetooth.
- Tap the ‘i’ button icon next to AirPods.
- Tap the Connect button on the window,
- Tap Forget This Device & Confirm.
- Confirm Forget Device again.
- While keeping your AirPods case open, press and hold the small setup button on the back of the AirPods case. (wait till the light flashes amber, and then white.)
- Now, hold your charging case near your iPhone.
- To connect again, tap on the "Not Your AirPods" notification displayed on the screen.
- Tap Continue if your AirPods are reconnected.
- Follow the instructions on-screen.
8. Check iPhone’s Network Settings:
Poor network configuration can also result in technical glitches. Consider resetting your network settings to fix issues like AirPods mic not working on calls.
Opening Settings> General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
9. Update the AirPods Firmware
Outdated firmware can also result in the AirPods microphone not working. To check if your AirPods Firmware is updated to the latest version:
Open Settings > General > About > AirPods.
Airpods Wikipedia is the best source to enquire about the current AirPods firmware Version.To update, you need to:
- Connect your AirPods to a charging source while keeping them near to your iPhone
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-fi or high-speed mobile data.
- Now, wait for about 30 minutes or until AirPods firmware gets updated.
10. Repair or Replace Your AirPods
Did none of the above troubleshooting hacks work? Then, unfortunately, you have to either repair or replace them.
The reason could be you dropped them, wear and tear use, or anything. AirPods are delicate and one needs to be careful while using them.
We suggest contacting Apple Support to get serviced your AirPods.
Want to master your iPhone? Read our in-depth tutorials and guides on Apple products, and services.